1. Requirement of visible material
|Material||Class 3 garments||Class 2 garments||Class 1 garments|
|Combined performance material||n.a.||n.a.||0,20|
|NOTE: The clothing class is determined by the lowest area of visible material.|
The initial retro reflection coefficient for separate performance retro reflective materials shall exceed 330 cd/(lx • m²) at observation angle 12° and entrance angle 5°; while the initial retro reflection coefficient for combined performance material shall exceed 65 cd/(lx ∙ m²).
2. Garment Design
1) For all kinds of garments, the background material shall encircle the torso and trouser legs and shall maintain a minimum width(height) of 50 mm. Interruptions by retro reflective stripes are not counted. Bands of retro reflective material shall be at least 50 mm wide. The bottom of the lowest torso band shall be at least 50 mm above the bottom edge. If more than one horizontal band is applied, the horizontal bands shall be at least 50 mm apart.
2) For garments covering the torso and arms, if a sleeve blocks a clear view of a horizontal band on the torso, then the sleeve should be surrounded by a reflective band. If a sleeve blocks a clear view of two horizontal bands on the torso, then the sleeve must be surrounded by two reflective bands with at least 50 mm from each other, with the lower band at least 50 mm from the end of the sleeve.
3) Harnesses are excluded from the scope of the new standard and cannot be certified as meeting EN ISO 20471:2013.
4) A class 2 jacket and a class 2 pair of trousers might be combined and certified as a class 3 ensemble.