How to travel by car to another country


Have you thought about traveling by car to another country? After all, with school vacations and in some cases, recess at work, directing Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, and Uruguay is an option that is worth considering. Check out what equipment and documents are necessary to avoid suffering problems and bureaucracy when crossing the border!


According to the Argentine consulate in São Paulo (SP), any RG with less than ten years since the issuance is already sufficient to identify Brazilians. To drive, you need to have valid driver's license, current vehicle documentation, and proof of insurance in force for Mercosur - so stay tuned for coverage in the neighboring country.

However, if the car is registered in the name of third parties, it will be necessary to register a notary authorization with the complete data of the owner, the vehicle, and also the driver. In the case of spouses and family members up to high school, proof of kinship is enough to be able to drive.

According to Argentine law 24.449 / 94, it is mandatory to have two signaling triangles and a fire extinguisher onboard. But it is not difficult to receive misinformation - the diplomatic office itself erroneously reported the mandatory towing of a steel cable. Finally, don't forget to keep your headlights on at all times.


To drive in Chile, the rules are similar to those valid in Argentina - that is, you just need a valid license for Brazil - and you can travel in the country for up to three months. According to the consulate general, all occupants must carry IDs up to ten years old and the vehicle must have specific insurance (SOAP) issued by the companies HDI and Consorcio.

You must always have the car document on board and, if it is on behalf of third parties, you must register an authorization in a notary with full details of the owner, the vehicle, and also the driver. In addition, it is necessary to declare amounts above the US $ 10,000 and to fill a form in Chilean Customs.

In addition to basic items such as seat belts, speedometer, spare wheel, and windshield wiper, there are some peculiarities in relation to the items required by Brazilian law. After all, the Chilean traffic code also requires the vehicle to have a fire extinguisher, two warning triangles, and a reflective vest.


According to the consulate general, Brazilians can drive in the country only with a valid license and an RG with less than ten years since the issuance. However, if the vehicle is on behalf of third parties - as in other countries - an authorization with full details must be presented (and only the authorized person can drive).

It is allowed to move around the country for up to three months, but you need to be aware of possible "pranks". According to Paraguay's law 5016/14, in addition to the equipment required in Brazil, the car must have a fire extinguisher and two signaling triangles - the diplomatic body says it is necessary to carry shrouds, which is not specified in the legislation.

As in other Mercosur countries, if the insurance policy does not have coverage in Paraguay, it will be necessary to acquire the Green Card (which protects against collision, theft, fire, damage to third parties, and bodily injury to passengers). This option is offered by different insurers in Brazil and can be quoted with a broker.


According to the Uruguayan embassy in Brazil, travelers can stay for up to 90 days in the country (renewable for another 90 days) and just have an ID or passport as your identification document. In addition, it is necessary to have valid Brazilian qualification and a document certifying the condition of tourist, issued by the immigration authority of the neighboring country.

In addition, it is necessary to have valid insurance - such as the Green Card, which protects against collision, theft, fire, damage to third parties and injuries to passengers in Mercosur countries - and vehicle documentation. If the property is in the name of a third party or sold, you will need to have a power of attorney or authorization notarized.

Spouses, family members up to high school, and private drivers may drive the vehicle, as long as there are documents to prove kinship or professional relationship with the authority. It is worth remembering that, in Uruguay, it is mandatory to drive with a low beam always on, in addition to having a first aid kit, reflective vest and warning triangle on board.

safety vest

Thanks! Your message has been successfully sent, We will reply within 24 hours.

Ooops! Looks like something went wrong, Please try again later.

Get Free Sample, Apply Solution, Catalogue, Certificates & Best Price

  • WhatsApp

  • Skype

  • Call